2014 Texas Christian Writers’ Conference
Words with a Mission
Sponsored by Inspirational Writers Alive!
Saturday, August 2, 2014
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Houston’s First Baptist Church
7401 Katy Freeway
Houston TX, 77024
- Speaking for Writers - Would you like to take your writing to a whole new level? You can through speaking. Discover the connection between speaking and writing, how to maximize speaking opportunities near you, and tips for speaking well.
- Writing Page-Turning Dialogue – Learn how to use dialogue to drive the plot and show characterization. Keep your readers turning the page by using this valuable tool.
- Creating an Irresistible Proposal – Learn how to leap frog the stacks of manuscripts on the publisher’s desk with a sure-fire proposal.
- Editing Do’s & Don’ts – Tips for fine-tuning your manuscripts. You have a good manuscript, but you must take it to the next level. Plus how to avoid editing pitfalls which will ruin a great story or article.
- Creating Believable Characters – The Edge of Freedom Series is full of characters who come alive on the page. Learn how to make your readers root for your characters. Believable characters are the heart of any good story.
- The Story Bank - Places to get ideas for your stories. Exercises to help you explore your experiences to get ideas for articles, devotions, stories, and books.
- D is for Devotions - The Christian devotional arena is often the starting point of a writing career for many writers. Prepare to discuss all things devotion as Melanie covers the ins and outs of devotional structure, submission methods and markets available. Melanie has written and published hundreds of devotionals published by Barbour Publishing, Standard Publishing and more.
- Managing a Freelance Career - Step One is the desire to write and submit your work. But where do you go from there? Join Melanie as she shares helpful forms, tips and action plans for starting and maintaining a freelance career. You will leave this session knowledgeable about the tools for trade!
Kathleen Y’Barbo Turner:
- Finish the Book: A Procrastinator’s Guide to Reaching THE END and Pressing SEND: This is a step-by-step workshop that will move the conferee from stuck in the writing process to submitting a manuscript to editors or agents. Workshop attendees will learn to know what they have and learn how to reach their goal of completing the book. They will also learn how to decide when to stop editing and what to do next. Issues of procrastination, time management, editing and more will be covered.
- Writing Romance: Learn how to write romance from one the best Christian Romance authors.
WHAT TO BRING
Notebook and paper for taking notes.
Light wrap or sweater as classrooms may be chilly.
Money if you want to purchase books in the bookstore (payment by cash or check only).
Please contact the following individuals for questions/comments about…
Conference registration – Pat Vance (patav AT aol dot com)
Special dietary needs – Martha Rogers (marthalrogers AT sbcqlobal dot net)
Everything else – Danny Woodall, conference coordinator (dannywoodall AT yahoo dot com)